10. What battery recycling process does First National Battery follow?
- Batteries are collected through Battery Centre franchises and other sources around the country.
- Scrap batteries are transported to the smelter in Benoni.
- Batteries are processed through a battery breaker, separating lead, plastic and acid.
- The acid is neutralised and processed through the effluent plant before being disposed of in accordance with environmental regulations.
- The plastic components are washed and converted into pellets to be re-used in the manufacturing of new battery containers and covers by First National Battery.
- The battery plates, terminals and other lead pieces are stockpiled for refining and blending with other materials to produce lead alloys for new batteries.
- Any elements of the scrap batteries that can’t be reclaimed are disposed of in a compressed cake form in a Class 1 dump.
Designed, developed and maintained by G&G